Ukrainian Orthodox Church of All Saints
Application deadline: March 15th, 2024
This is a permanent, part-time, paid position, responsible to the Parish Council.
The Parish Council is seeking a proactive, dedicated, musical director to provide expertise, guidance, and support to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of All Saints. The core responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to providing creative, dynamic and informed leadership in coordinating the choral element for services, in consultation and conjunction with the Parish Clergy. The Musical Director plays a significant role in setting the tone and reverence of the services.
Duties: Broad duties include, but are not limited to:
• Plans and leads weekly rehearsals, in preparation for regular services, special services, and other events.
• Plans the liturgical music for all scheduled and special services, in consultation with clergy.
• Attracts, recruits, organizes, and leads volunteer choir members with varying musical ability with a goal of increasing active participation and supporting development and appreciation of liturgical music of the Orthodox Faith.
• Maintains and continues to develop a significant music library.
• An understanding of the liturgical system of Orthodox worship structure and the role liturgical music plays in the Orthodox tradition.
• Proficiency in choral direction, specifically in the Orthodox context
• A familiarity with a large repertoire of liturgical music is an asset.
• Willingness to dedicate approximately four (4) hours per week to research, prepare, and plan service music.
• Strong organizational, communication, diplomacy, problem solving and teaching skills.
• Ability and understanding of recruitment, support, and development of volunteers.
• Formal musical qualifications and/or related experience an asset
Formally established in 1964, there has been a Ukrainian Orthodox presence in Transcona since 1954. All Saints is a bilingual church offering services in English and in bilingual English/Ukrainian.
All Saints aspires to be a beacon of hope and love in our local community, reaching out to those in need, promoting social justice and unity, and building bridges of understanding and cooperation across generational, cultural, and religious boundaries.
Our mission is to preserve and promote the rich cultural heritage and teachings of the Ukrainian
Orthodox Church, while also embracing the contemporary world and adapting to the changing needs of our congregation.
Interested parties should submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information of three references, by March 15th, 2024 to firstname.lastname@example.org.